For the last several months I’ve been creating and photographing recipes for the food column of DesignLoveFest. This is my latest creation, lavender infused honey paired with goat cheese and fresh mixed berries on top of a crunchy slice of french baguette. All you need is five ingredients to have yourself an elegant hors d’oeuvres or light dessert. Either way you have it, the lavender infused honey adds a pleasant touch of sweetness. Make a large batch of honey and add it to a relaxing cup of tea or drizzled over ice cream. It also make for a nice homemade gift!
- 2 cups honey (use a good quality, neutral flavor)
- ¼ cup dried lavender buds
- 2 loaves of fresh French Baguette, sliced ¼” – 1” thick
- 1 large log of goat cheese
- mixed fresh berries
- mint garnish (optional)
How to make:
- Over simmering heat in a double boiler, combine the honey and lavender. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring every so often. Strain into a cheesecloth, discarding the lavender remains. Let it cool completely before serving and storing it.
- Slice the Baguette on a diagonal (makes them look pretty!). I like my bread with a soft center, but a traditional crostini is toasted. If toasting, preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with sliced Baguette. Bake for 15-20 until just golden and crispy. Let them cool and relax.
- Smear each crostini with a layer of goat cheese and top with fresh berries and a drizzle of lavender honey. Garnish with a mint leaf.